Sunday, October 20, 2013

My College Decision... (Drumroll Please!)

Okay, so I know that my posts so far have all been about college, and I promise that I will start posting on other things, but college has been the #1 thing in my life right now... I am currently preparing to transfer out of Pellissippi next year, so for the past few weeks I have been trying to see which college I will attend for the next few years. I had three choices... Brigham Young University-- Idaho, University of Tennessee, and Southern Virginia University.

SVU has always been my first choice, but it is a private Liberal Arts college, so it was too expensive. BYU-I is a religiously affiliated school (LDS or Mormon to be exact) and it was my second choice... But I hate the cold, so I know that I would not survive in Idaho!!! My third choice was UT, which is a good school and I love going to the football games, but it is literally 20 minutes from my house and I want to go to a college that is further away from home.

SVU has a REALLY REALLY small student body and campus... Which I like, because it means that a student is more than a number there. With less than 1,000 students, the faculty is able to form personal relationships with each of their students. The school president has a picture of EVERY SINGLE STUDENT in his office, so he keeps his duty to this school in mind. With such a small, intimate campus, I would be able to make more meaningful friendships instead of just passing by people on a bigger campus.

So I was heartbroken about not being able to attend SVU, so I was planning on BYU-I. I was trying to persuade my parents into letting me go... (They don't want me to go to school too far away.) So I was researching pros and cons of going to SVU and BYU-I. The biggest thing was tuition, so I was researching tuition for both schools... BYU-I is no more than $12,000 a year. When I was looking up SVU, however, something caught my eye. There was an article that said that the school president announced a lowering of the cost of tuition for the 2014-15 school year. You can see the article here.
THEY LOWERED THEIR TUITION BY ABOUT $10,000!!!!!
You can only imagine my excitement! With this new cost, I will be more willing to take out student loans and it will be easier to bridge the gap with scholarships! My parents are UBER excited! I will be an SVU Knight next year!



 Main hall and the famous Knight statue!                   Behind Main Hall... I have heard that many
                                                                                     ultimate Frisbee games have happened here!
Here are some more pics from behind Main Hall in autumn and winter... SO pretty!
 

 



 The institute building... (I will explain more
 about institute later for those of you who
don't know what it is!)                                             Beautiful town of Buena Vista, VA!


Main Hall                                            Students behind Main Hall!
Campus!
 
I seriously can't wait until next Fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Krislee that is sooo cool. I didn't know what a neat place that is. we will have to come and visit you there.

    ReplyDelete