Saturday, October 19, 2013

Advantages of Attending Community College

I decided that community college was my best choice for my freshman year. I had originally planned to attend Southern Virginia University, but the $28,000 tuition and fee check was one that made my wallet hurt.

Just know that while community colleges aren't the most exciting things in the world, they do have several advantages!!
Here is a list of advantages I have made...

1) Community colleges tend to be MUCH cheaper than other colleges and universities.
   ~I am attending Pellissippi State Community College right now, and the total tuition is no more than $3,000... MUCH less than SVU!! Besides, I am planning to transfer to SVU next year... That's almost $30,000 I saved myself by going to a community college.

2) Community college courses can be simpler than other colleges and universities
 Disclaimer:  This does NOT mean that they are "easy..." While they may be easier than other universities, they should not be taken lightly!!!

3) Community colleges are a great transition from high school to college.
    ~Several people complain that Pellissippi is just like high school... I found similarities, but there are significant differences. You have more freedom in your schedule. Also, you are attending school with people of all ages. Several people in my classes are married and/or have children. But yes, it is very similar to high school in class structure.

4) Attending a community college gives you time to figure out what you want to do.
    ~There is a variety of courses available at most community colleges, ranging from English to Culinary Arts. If you don't know what you want to study at the end of you senior year, a community college will buy you time to decide what you want your major to be. Several colleges even have agreements with 4-year universities that allow easy transfers IF you are able to maintain a certain GPA.

5) Community colleges are easy to get into!
    ~ Unless you have like a 0.00 GPA, you can pretty much get into a community college. So if your high school GPA isn't as high as you would like it to be, go to a community college! Your GPA is a clean slate, so with hard work and dedication you can get a better GPA and be able to attend a college of your choice!

All-in-all, I am glad that I chose Pellissippi this year over SVU... I am taking 16 credits (talk about stress!) that will transfer to SVU next year. There have been disadvantages to going, such as missing out on dorm life and having significant time to meet new people. I pretty much go to school, listen to a lecture, go to work, then come home and do homework. I have a busy schedule, but everything I do now is going towards my ne life at SVU. I hope this helps with your college decision! Remember that going to a community college is not something to be ashamed of!!

Update: I have posted about my official college decision! Plus there are pictures of campus!

No comments:

Post a Comment